Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Community - Summer - Fall - Back to School

I just heard about a really interesting and fun community project, and I think you'll like it, as it's creative, slightly surprising and combines horses (toy ones) with people in Portland, Oregon. Check out The Horse Project I think you'll like it! I didn't know about tie rings on sidewalks of cities, did you? How interesting! Do you have interesting public projects like this in your town or city? Vashon has the Bicycle in the Tree. (It isn't something you can be involved with like the tiny horses in Portland, but it's really fun to see it!) I don't know much about communities, but I know about herds.

If a community can make the horse project, I think it must be as nice as my herd. (But don't ask Britta about power struggles in a herd; she got a hoof print on her hind end yesterday when she did something in MY herd that I didn't think was appropriate!!)

Summer vacation is over, but the summer weather is lovely! It is sweatshirt weather for the people in the evenings and mornings, but we horses are putting on our big coats as the days get shorter. The shorter daylight hours are what make us grow our heavy winter coats. If there was a contest for coat weight at Fish Bowl Farm, I would win. I also could run away and join the circus as the bearded lady! I am lovely and fuzzy at the moment.... but the warm afternoons find me in the shade, as my coat is pretty heavy for the sunshine!

Fall won't officially be here for another month, but as children go back to school we call it Fall, don't we? As the days shorten the skies are often colorful at sunset. It was purple and pink on Monday night - beautiful!

Nils, Blossom, Patrick and I are taking our vacation right now before riding lessons start up for the Fall season next week. We have had a really good summer with a lot of students riding us. One day I was standing around not doing anything and Annie, the teen who lives at Fish Bowl, came and got me, groomed me and took me for a bareback ride! It was a blast! She owns Inigo, and I don't get to play with her very often, so it was a special day for me. The August Adult Mini-Camp was a highlight of the summer too: five women with varying experiences with horses came to the farm for two days of intensive riding and horse care time. They looked like they had so much fun! I heard that they went out to dinner after the first full day of riding, and it sounds like they had fun away from the dust and horses too!

Happy end of summer, beginning of fall, back to school, or whatever you're up to!

No comments: