Monday, April 20, 2009

How much grass can a horse eat?





A lot!

The first photo is where I did not graze today. The second photo is where I ate all the grass I possibly could!

The grass is really growing at Fish Bowl Farm because it is Springy warm weather and the sun is up for over 15 hours each day. I love to eat the grass! Today Emily set up a pen for me along a fence line so I could "mow" the grass. Did I do a good job? My tummy was full, and the grass is noticeably shorter as you can see in the photos!

A horse needs 2% of her body weight in roughage each day. What is roughage? Hay and grass. Hay is dried grass. I weigh about 1,200 pounds, so I need about 24 pounds of hay and grass each day. Fresh grass has a lot of water content, so maybe I need even more grass than I need hay.... do you think Emily will fall for that and let me graze even longer tomorrow? I'll let you know!

No comments: